The world famous Seven Mile Beach in Grand Cayman is the jewel of the Cayman Islands. Often voted “The Caribbean’s Best Beach”, the white powdery sand and the sparkling turquoise water merge together to provide breathtaking photo opportunities. Not surprisingly, most of Grand Cayman's top end hotels and condos are located here. There are lots of things to on Seven Mile Beach, from simply relaxing to getting an adrenalin rush, to enjoying some of the best cuisine in the Caribbean.
THINGS TO DO
Be sure to mention EXPLORE when booking a trip or tour as you might get an even better rate!
CULTURAL, ENTERTAINMENT & EDUCATIONAL
• Catch a Movie at the multiplex in Camana Bay or try a under–the–stars movie at the Ritz-Carlton or on the lawn at Camana Bay during the summer months and special holidays.
• Wander around the National Gallery, take in the national art collection and the latest exhibition.
HEALTH & FITNESS
• Indulge in a Spa Treatment and unwind while on holiday. The Hibiscus Spa at the Westin Beach Resort is a 7,000sq ft facility with 15 treatment rooms, male and female steam and sauna rooms, whirlpool and Vichy showers and a relaxation room. There is also the luxurious la prairie spa at the Ritz-Carlton which provides a full range of beauty services from customised facials to massages and body treatments by trained professionals. Alternatively, check out the Da Vinci Centre or Touch of Thai for massages, facials and other wonderful treatments. See the Best Health & Relaxation article for more information.
• Keep Fit by visiting the gym in your hotel or one of the following two on Seven Mile Beach: Anytime Fitness (345) 946 4748 in Camana Bay, which is open 24 hours a day; and World Gym Fitness Centre (345) 949 5132. Alternatively, get a mobile fitness trainer to come to you: Jenn from Life Extension (345) 938 3753 or Coleen from Energy (345) 946 6006.
• Play some Tennis, get fit and have some fun at the same time. Many hotels and condos have tennis courts; alternatively The Courts at the Ritz–Carlton is second to none. You can practise, play or take a lesson. Programmes are available for adults and kids aged three and above. Alternatively, Camana Bay has two tennis courts that can be hired privately. Call (345) 323 0049.
• Practice Yoga and reconnect. A great option on SMB is Bliss Living Yoga which offers a multitude of yoga classes including power, flow, hot and restorative, to mention just a few, 7 days a week from 6am–9pm, CI$19 for a one–off class or CI$25 for unlimited classes for 7 days. Drop-ins are welcome. (345) 949 9642.
Seven Mile Beach is actually only 5.5 miles however that's still miles of glorious white sandy beach and clear blue water to enjoy. It's no wonder that Seven Mile Beach has earned its reputation as one of the best beaches in the Caribbean. All of Seven Mile Beach is considered public property up to the water line so feel free to explore the many different "Public Access" beaches along SMB. Here are the most popular and designated Public Beach areas with parking and easy access:
Governor's Beach is located directly north of the Governor's Residence on West Bay Road. Wide, spacious beach with good snorkelling. Casuarina trees provide shade and picnic tables make for a nice lunch break out of the sun.
Public Beach is the largest and most popular beach on SMB with restroom facilities, beach cabanas and watersport options on-site. Located next to Calico Jack's beach bar and within walking distance to Tiki Beach.
Cemetery Beach is located on the northern part of Seven Mile Beach and has some of the best snorkelling in Grand Cayman. Parking is available along the roadside and across the street in the car park.
LAND & AIR BASED ACTIVITIES
• Enjoy a bike ride with West Bay Loop, a fun and energetic way to see the sights. You can rent bicycles and explore the Seven Mile Beach area.
• Go Golfing at one of the two golf courses on Seven Mile Beach. North Sound Club (345) 947 4653 is an 18–hole, par–71 course. They do a twilight rate and have a children’s programme. The Ritz–Carlton has a nine–hole, par–36 course. Both golf courses rent golf clubs. Alternatively play crazy golf at the mini-golf course next to Deckers restaurant.
• Take a Helicopter Ride for an amazing view of Seven Mile Beach, Stingray City or the whole Island with Cayman Islands Helicopters. Trips leave from George Town.
• Take an Island Tour and see Cayman's highlights. Call Tours Cayman or Cayman Safari Adventures.
• Try Sailing along Seven Mile Beach on a hobie cat which can be hired from one of the big hotels. Also see the Boating section for information on boat trips on the North Sound.
• Go Fishing for wahoo, marlin, tuna and mahi mahi, then have your catch prepared onboard, or fish the reef at night or day. See the Fishing section for more details.
• Go Snorkelling either at a small artificial reef just off the Marriott hotel, or settle into a good snorkel to a reef 200 yards off Cemetery Beach at the north end of Seven Mile Beach. Numerous boat operators also offer snorkelling day trips. See the Snorkelling section for more details.
• Try Parasailing for both an exhilarating ride and a great view of Seven Mile Beach. Take a double or triple ride with your kids and ask for a light dip in the water and hear their laughter! Ideal for all the family. Call Parasailing Professionals (345) 916 2953.
• Dive the Leeward Shore and discover sand chutes, the spectacular wall, reef dives and the new Kittiwake dive site located just north of Cemetery Beach. Click here for more information on diving in Grand Cayman.
• Jump in a Kayak with Sea Elements and explore the mangroves either by day or by the light of the moon. (345) 945 7525.
• Paddleboard in the calm waters off Seven Mile Beach. Rent boards or take a tour with Cayman Stand Up Paddle Co.
• Take a Sunset Cruise across the North Sound and have a Cayman-style dinner on the beach at Kaibo with Oh Boy Charters. See the Boating section for information.
• Take a Stingray City Tour to the sandbar where you can frolic with the rays and also explore additional snorkelling sites.
• Wakeboarding & Banana Rides can be arranged at most hotels or call Red Sail Sports (345) 949 8745.
• Try Kitesurfing with Kitesurf Cayman for an adrenalin fuelled experience. Free pickups available along Seven Mile Beach.
• Take a Jetski Safari with Action Watersports and zoom around the North Sound
You’ll find great shopping in the Seven Mile Beach area, from clothing and jewellery to locally produced goods such as soap products, Cayman Sea Salt, rum cakes, jams, hot sauces, sculptures and more.
ART GALLERIES & LOCALLY MADE COLLECTABLES
Art galleries on Grand Cayman are generally extremely good at carrying the work of local artists and craftsmen, whether original paintings, Caymanite jewellery or hand–woven thatch products. The quality is superb and such works have become highly collectable. Other locally produced goods include Cayman sea salt, soap products, hand–painted cushions, rum cakes, jams, hot sauces, sculptures, note cards and more. If you are looking for a gift to take home you won’t be disappointed.
The Kennedy Gallery in the West Shore Centre (Pink Plaza) sells original paintings and prints by talented local artists. (345) 949 8077.
The Ritz-Carlton displays local artist’s work on the walkway between the two properties.
The National Gallery has a lovely gift shop where you can purchase prints and locally made goods.
Local items can also be found at the Farmers & Artisans Market at Camana Bay and the gift store in the new Kimpton Seafire Resort & Spa.
The grocery store, Fosters Food Fair at The Strand sells, a wide variety of general brand bath and beauty supplies. Alternatively, Body Works, Da Vinci Centre, Eclipze Hair Design, the Ritz–Carlton’s la prairie spa, Hibiscus Spa at the Westin, Styles Beauty Salon and Vanity all carry well–known hair and skin products.
There are two great book stores on Seven Mile Beach:
Books & Books in Camana Bay sells a wide variety of books and they have a dedicated children’s section with books, toys and educational games. Open Monday–Saturday 10am-9pm. (345) 640 2665
Book Nook located in the Galleria Plaza has a very good selection of books, travel guides, cook books, children’s toys and gifts. Open Monday to Saturday 9am–6pm. (345) 945 4686
If you are looking for a new bathing costume, a light and casual outfit to keep the heat at bay or a new look for the evening, then here are a few great options:
DIVE & SNORKEL EQUIPMENT
Divers Supply is open seven days a week and sells well known scuba brands including Aqualung, Atomic, Mares, Oceanic, Scuba Pro and Sherwood. They also sell swimwear. West Shore Centre (Pink Plaza). (345) 949 7621.
JEWELLERY & WATCHES
Cayman is a great place to buy jewellery and watches. It can be 50% cheaper than in Europe or the US since watches, gems and precious metals are all duty–free. Kirk Freeport has a branch at the Strand Shopping Centre and in the Westin Hotel; The Ritz–Carlton has a Magnum Jewellers; and Camana Bay has Island Jewellers and Pandora. All are of a quality and standard that you will be very pleased with. Alternatively head to downtown George Town.
FOOD & DRINK OPTIONS
The majority of restaurants are located on Seven Mile Beach. Our recommendations below give a good cross–section. For a comprehensive list grab a copy of the Islands’ restaurant guide, Good Taste or visit www.caymangoodtaste.com.
QUICK & EASY DINING
Al la Kebab
Serves quick, good value and healthy Mediterranean kebabs, skewers and salads. Marquee Plaza. (345) 943 4343.
Burger Shack (The)
A wide variety of great burgers and sides, Marquee Plaza. (345) 949 2867.
Unpretentious, lively, good value for money restaurant. Marquee Plaza. (345) 947 2782.
Chicken marinated and roasted in a wood burning oven served with lots of sides. Probably the best value dining on SMB. West Shore Centre. (345) 945 2290.
Anchor & Den
Stylish bar and restaurant located at the Marriott Beach Resort. (345) 949 0088.
A classic Italian with Caribbean influences at the Ritz-Carlton. Great alfresco restaurant overlooking the waterways. A nightly movie starts at sunset. Closed in the summer. (345) 943 9000. Closed in the summer. (345) 943 9000.
A very popular seafood restaurant with a Peruvian–Japanese influence. Sunday brunch is very popular. Galleria Plaza. (345) 949 2482.
New restaurant located at the Seafire Resort & Spa serving Mediterranean cuisine. (345) 746 0000.
A charming restaurant offering French classics made with fresh local ingredients. Excellent wine and cocktail list. Live music on Wednesdays. Caribbean Plaza.
Mediterranean food with an Indian twist in an upscale setting (345) 945 4372.
Beautifully and elegantly decorated, this Ritz–Carlton restaurant is an AAA five star award recipient. (345) 943 9000.
Copper Falls Steakhouse
Warm and welcoming décor, this is a popular and busy steakhouse opposite the Strand Shopping Centre. (345) 945 4755.
Casa 43 Mexican Kitchen
A Mexican restaurant. Opposite The Strand. (345) 949 4343
Mexican restaurant located at the Kimpton Seafire Resort & Spa. (345) 746 0000.
A delicious gastro-pub style menu and an exceptional choice of craft beers from around the world. West Bay Road. (345) 640 0004.
Deckers Grille & Lounge
Outdoor restaurant with Lobster Tuesdays and live music Thursday-Saturday. (345) 945 6600.
Dukes Seafood & Rib Shack
A beachy style restaurant serving southern-style cuisine. Trafalgar Place opposite Public Beach (345) 640 0000.
Warm and atmospheric restaurant serving Italian food in Coconut Place. Popular with residents. (345) 945 4408.
An upscale lounge with reasonable cocktail prices and good food. Falls Plaza. (345) 943 3287.
Beachfront seafood restaurant serving superb innovative food. Their Sunday brunch is extremely popular. LUCA is located in the beautiful Caribbean Club, a boutique hotel overlooking Seven Mile Beach.
Waterfront restaurant serving delicious, fresh seafood dishes. CI Yacht Club. (345) 946 7049.
Italian restaurant on Seven Mile Beach. Above Royal Palms. (345) 945 6358.
Seafood and Italian restaurant with consistently good food. Award winning wine list, reasonable prices and fun atmosphere. Buckingham Square. (345) 945 3484.
Part of the Ritz–Carlton, this is an elegant steakhouse. Their Sunday brunch is highly rated. (345) 943 9000.
Authentic Indian restaurant serving fresh and tasty dishes. Merrens Plaza (345) 949 5550.
A Ritz–Carlton restaurant serving incredibly fresh sushi, genuine wasabi and the Island’s largest saké list. (345) 943 9000.
Superb Thai food. Their Sunday buffet is great value for money. They also have a sushi bar. Queen’s Court Plaza. (345) 949 7955.
Tiki Beach Restaurant
An extensive lunch and dinner menu plus great cocktails and stunning views. (345) 743 6616.
A beach-side restaurant located at the Marriott serving fresh fish. (345) 949 0088.
A destination waterfront restaurant offering international cuisine with a Caribbean flair. Live music throughout the week.
A sophisticated steakhouse restaurant with a lively atmosphere and innovative cocktails. Located on the Margaritaville Beach Resort Property. (Due to open in early 2017)
Stylish restaurant with Japanese cuisine. Falls Plaza. (345) 943 9674.
BARS, PUBS & NIGHTCLUBS
Barolo Bar & Lounge
Bar and lounge with comfortable leather sofas, the bar is attached to Edoardo’s. Live DJ on Fridays. (345) 945 4408.
Cocktail bar at the Ritz-Carlton with a live DJ on Friday nights. (345) 943 9000.
Casual place with reasonably priced food. Opposite Comfort Suites. (345) 943 5637.
Fidel Murphy’s Irish Pub
Irish bar with a selection of draft beers and ‘pub grub’ menu. Great place to catch the game. Queens Court Plaza. (345) 949 5189.
Intimate Cuban cigar bar and lounge. Caribbean Plaza. (345) 946 5391.
A Texas-style joint with a large outdoor bar and huge TV screens. West Bay Road. (345) 945 5175.
Ports of Call at The Wharf
Classy but casual outside waterfront bar. (345) 949 2231.
Nightclub with popular DJs. Queens Court Plaza. (345) 943 6227.
Ports of Call at The Wharf
Waterfront bar with great cocktails and daily happy hour. (345) 949 2231.
Popular and busy place next to the beach. Features a swim–up bar and a pool with cabanas. 537 West Bay Rd. (345) 945 6358.
Casual beach bar at The Westin with great food and drinks. Live music every evening at sunset. (345) 945 3800.
A popular Irish themed pub with live music and dancing. The Strand. (345) 323 1669.